Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Williamsburg 2014: Starting the Other Side

I've started the other side of my piece for the Williamsburg course.  I'd like to finish it in the next couple weeks!  You may see a slight difference in this side though- I've changed the flower color to yellow.  I did not do this because I disliked the pink.  I wanted to see how the yellow interacted with the gold- will it feel monochromatic with the gold?  With the pink flower being a complementary to the green leaves, the pink of the flower becomes the dominate focus of the composition.  I thought it would be interesting to see what would become the dominate focus with an analogous color to the green.  So, it's kind of a stitching color experiment!  

I knew when it was a symmetrical design that I would do the sides differently just for experimentation purposes.  Originally I thought I would do the flowers in a blue color- keep the value similar to the pinks but change it to analogous colors.  However, when I went to my DMC's I didn't like any of the blues, and I thought it might feel too Girl v. Boy.   

That's when I remembered this beauty from the V&A!   It does not have goldwork embroidery on it, but the it does have just a little bit of gold woven through it.  The main colors are yellow flowers with green steam and leaves on cream. It's part of the Wedding Dress exhibition currently on at the V&A (more on that exhibition soon).
http://collections.vam.ac.uk/item/O125284/wedding-dress-and-dolling-ella/
Elizabeth King wedding dress from 1941, Victoria & Albert Museum, London

 I'm keeping everything else from Tracy's design the same- all techniques will be the same and all green color placement will be the same.  We shall see what happens!  I will admit, I already wish that I had used the medium yellow as the light yellow and the dark as the medium.  When placed on the creamy beige ground, the light and medium yellow are extremely close- closer than I think I was wanting.  Lesson learned!



No comments:

Post a Comment