Pages

Saturday, July 19, 2014

UK 2014 Trip: Jean Paul Gaultier at the Barbican

I ended my trip with a few days in London.  The final couple posts on my trip will spotlight a few of the exhibitions I saw in London.

The Fashion World of Jean Paul Gaultier From the Sidewalk to the Catwalk at the Barbican.  In one very short reaction-- if you are in London, this is a MUST SEE!!!!!  I have always loved the fashion of Jean Paul Gaultier.  His work is a phenomenal mix of fantasy, artistic expression, and incredible craft.  To complement the Gaultier pieces is an equally excellent presentation and exhibition styling.  They encouraged you to take photographs.  The app for your phone was excellent and provided further videos, images, and interviews for each section.  I spent over 3 hours in this exhibition taking it all in, sketching, and photographing details.  And just to warn you, there are two floors of the exhibition.  I almost missed the 2nd floor until I passed a small sign on my way out!

Since I had dubbed this my "Summer of Goldwork", I thought I would show some of the beautiful examples of goldwork from this exhibition.  You can also see the official photo gallery of the exhibition here.




 I know this piece is not goldwork, however the beading is so incredible that I could not resist adding it in here.  It is a full length gown and the entire front is beaded to look like this animal skin!

The origami folding, tucking, and pleating on this piece was so beautiful.  It's hard to see in these photos but there is also a gradation of color in the materials too that is so soft and perfectly complements the harder edge of the folds.    

1 comment:

  1. I will be in London - and have added this to my trip list! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete