Pages

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Central St. Martins: Couture Tailoring

Over the next couple weeks, I am taking a Couture Tailoring short course at Central St. Martins in London.  For the course we are making 1/2 a womens' size 10/12 (UK size) couture jacket.  Though I have only completed 3 days of this course, I can go ahead and say that this is probably going to be a future addiction.  I absolutely LOVE everything about this course.  The tutor is absolutely wonderful and extremely knowledgeable, and I love the hand stitching.  Real hand tailoring is truly sculpture.  It is amazing to see how the stitches mold the fabric into a 3-dimensional shape.  I am also getting lots of ideas for experiments when I get home for incorporating some of the tailoring techniques into the interlinings of my dressmaking.   Below are some photos from the first couple days:

Laying out pattern and marking seam allowance.


 Sleeve pattern after marking seamlines and balance lines with tacking stitches. 


Padstitching and adding edge tape.

No comments:

Post a Comment