Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Between UK Classes

This summer has been crazy!  First trip to UK was for my crewel and silk shading modules for the RSN Certificate.  A couple days after I got home, I interviewed for an Assistant Professor position at NC State, and this Saturday I leave for a Couture Tailoring course at Central St. Martins in London!  A few days after I get home from that course Fall classes will start!

Here's a little update since my RSN Silk Shading class:
Since I arrived home, I have struggled with the issue of lighting with my silk shading.  I have tried everything that has worked in the past for other embroidery and dressmaking projects in my studio.  Part of the issue has also been the weather as I have been known to stitch in my backyard for the lighting and relaxing nature of stitching outside.  However, it has be in the mid-90s and hotter or raining or both everyday this summer, and sweating in the hot Carolina sun and stitching on fine silk do not mix!  After an email to Tracy, I think I finally have found a light that will work, so updates on my RSN Silk Shading will be coming soon!

Here's a little job update:
I am officially an Assistant Professor in the Art & Design Department of the College of Design at North Carolina State University!  I will be teaching Fibers and Experimental Materials courses there (this Fall it will be Sewing & Construction class and Fibers Studio) as well as overseeing the student fashion show--Art 2 Wear-- in the Spring.  I had the wonderful experience of teaching Draping and Fibers Studio last Spring and working with many of the designers on their collections.  If you would like to see some of the student work from the 2012 show, below are a couple links:

http://www.ncsu.edu/project/design-projects/art2wear/

http://www.newsobserver.com/2012/04/25/2023049/first-look-art2wear-fashion-show.html#storylink=misearch

http://www.ncsu.edu/features/2012/04/art2wear-rocks-reynolds/

1 comment: