Pages

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Happy Valentine's Miss Hazel!

Zay's Valentine to his cousin and my beautiful niece, Hazel.  I stitched it after he helped me design it.  I stitched Winnie-the-Pooh in crewel long and short, detached flowers with beaded centers, turkey stitch grass, and goldwork "H" on a silk dupioni ground. 

I also used this piece to practice the mounting process that I need to do for my RSN Certificate pieces.  After attempting it I have a few thoughts:
- the amazing ladies I stitch with in the UK make this look way too easy 
(it is not for the faint of heart)
- I do not have finger prints on at least 4 of my fingers
- so glad I practiced on a different piece before attempting to mount my RSN crewelwork piece
- in the mounting process, some of my couched smooth passing shifted.  I think I must have not been able to get it tight enough (any thoughts?).  It was beautifully smooth prior to mounting it and then I realized that it shifted in a couple places.  Or maybe I didn't plung enough of the ends?

I know a few things I need to work with on this piece.  I need to watch my tension at the crewel long and short.  I think they may actually be due to using a silk dupioni ground not twill.  I still have a couple puckers around Winnie that I cannot get out.  I also need to practice my herringbone stitch for the back.  I'm fairly certain my stitching was too wide and more closely represented the "no" sketch than the "yes" sketch that Tracy did for me to follow.  Also, I need to work on my corners.  They weren't terrible, but they could be a lot better.  I think I'm going to practice one more time before mounting my RSN crewel piece.  I have a set of crewel samples already to mount.




No comments:

Post a Comment