Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The belt . . .

So for this dress (client is still a secret!), I was originally asked to consider versatility as an inspiration--reversible, separates, etc.  When I was originally designing the dress, I kept sketching more complicated designs with pleats and reverse applique or gathered details, but it just did not feel right.  As I know the client extremely well, I knew that the dresses that look the most beautiful on her are the ones that are simple and classic and let her shine on her own.  I decided to create a simple strapless dress with a circle skirt on it.  She has an amazing figure so I wanted something that would show that off but that would still flutter when she walked.  I wanted a lot of movement in the dress.  As the inspiration for the dress was Spain, flamenco dancers were abounding in my mind, but I wanted to create the movement of ruffles without having ruffles.  Ruffles just don't come into mind when I think of this client (unless she was going to a 1980's party).  I let the skirt hang on the dressform for a little over 2 weeks so it could hang out and really let the bias do its thing.

I thought that I could then bring in versatility through the belt options.  I decided to do 2 different sides for the belt that could be flipped around for different looks.  The simplest side is pomegranate silk satin with black lace trim.  The other side is orchid purple silk satin covered in black point d'esprit  with black lace applique at Center back.  I've scattered gold spangles over the point d'esprit and re-embroidered the black lace applique with an outline of gold thread.  I hope she likes it!





This is the dress laying on my work table with the belt across it.  I'll upload photos of the dress on the dressform after I hem it this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment