Pages

Monday, January 16, 2017

Purple to Gold Canvaswork Sampler: finished!

I started this sampler as part of my Color Interactions Illuminated in Goldwork Embroidery Faculty Research Grant that I was awarded last year.  I finally was able to finish the last couple squares over Christmas.  I was exploring the effect of stitch pattern on color and investigating the question, "Is gold the complement of purple?".  

For the top 4 rows, each square is a different canvaswork stitch pattern worked in a gradient from gold to purple.  The rows are in a gradient of Anchor purples (the Anchor color choices were much nicer than the DMC purples).  The last column is all Upright Gobelin stitch to compare the same stitch pattern in the different purples.  The last two rows are simultaneous contrast samples referencing Josef Albers color explorations.  


I stitched this sampler on 18 count mono canvas with cotton Anchor embroidery floss and DMC metallic embroidery floss.   Each square is a 1" square. 


3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this sampler <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. very handsome; congrats on the grant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful! I love the shading from the purple to the gold. Anna

    ReplyDelete