Pages

Monday, June 2, 2014

Williamsburg: RSN Silk and Gold with Tracy Franklin

I love stitching- I know this is no surprise to you.  Part of my love for stitching is the actual act and challenge of stitching, seeing the stitches grow off the material and create new textures and patterns.  However, one of my favorite aspects of stitching is meeting fellow stitchers.  Last week I enjoyed taking the RSN Silk and Gold course with Tracy Franklin in Williamsburg, VA, and I met a lovely group of stitch enthusiasts that reminded me once again why stitching is such a community-based/ inspired/enjoyed art.  So- to my fellow stitchers that I have recently met:  Thank You! for making my time in Williamsburg so wonderful!  And a special Thank You! to Tracy for another wonderful course!

A few photos of Tracy's Waistcoat design that we embroidered with Silk Shading and Gold or metallic threads:


 As you can see, I still had my fair share of challenges with the silk shading!  It started to feel less stressful (which was very exciting), but I still need a lot of practice.   I think I might be able to see that it is going to click with my fingers in the future--which is exciting because I have felt like I have been fighting with this technique (as you know!).
 We made buttons!
 The shading part in the bottom bit of the blossom got taken out a few times!  I'd love to blame it on the lighting in the hotel but in reality my fingers just kept putting in the stitches the wrong way! Practice, practice, practice!
 Buttons finished
 One section getting close to finished
adding in the little leaves





7 comments:

  1. Looks great Katherine, and I think you may finish before me, so cannot wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks amazing - I am completely in love with those buttons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The buttons were a bit fiddly I have to admit, but I loved them! Granted usually the fiddlier the better to me because the sense of accomplishment is higher than when it's easy :). I'm looking forward to putting them all on the piece once I finish.

      Delete
  3. Love the silk shading on the leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Cath! With Tracy's help I started to somewhat "get" the angle thing I think- we will see when I get home and finish all of the (and the other side too). Hoping to figure out this silk shading thing!

      Delete
  4. Your work is exquisite. Loved working alongside you in W'burg. Have fun in Durham.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope to stitch beside you again soon! Your joy for life was contagious and I absolutely had a blast with you in W'burg!

    ReplyDelete