Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

RSN Goldwork: Back in Durham

 I am very excited to be back in Durham stitching with some wonderful women at Tracy Franklin's studio.  Monday morning, I got off the airplane, took the train, dropped things off at my hotel and went and walked around.  There was a tour of Durham Castle starting so I joined it.  I had never seen the inside and it was beautiful!  

This time in Durham, I am starting my goldwork module for the RSN Certificate.  When I was starting to plan my design, Tracy recommended that I look at Art Nouveau or Art Deco for reference.  I love the jewelry from these design movements, so started there--with lily of the valley!  Iconically they are my two favorite design periods so I was quite excited about the suggestion.  I wanted the piece to have the flow of Art Nouveau lines and feel fairly simple so I could add the complexity/interest with the stitches and gold threads/wires that I choose. 

Calico framed up, silk long and shorted on, design transfered, design stab stitched . . . ready to start stitching!
 final design
progress at end of Day 2

2 comments:

  1. How exciting for you Katherine! Will look forward to watching your progress.

    ReplyDelete