Pages

Thursday, May 21, 2015

RSN: Canvaswork

My last RSN Certificate module has started!!!  I embarked on my canvaswork piece on Tuesday and will be hopefully making loads of progress between now and next Friday.  

The design I am using is an illustration that was on the cover of Vogue UK in May 1936.  It's been a bit tricky knowing who to credit for it as I have come across a couple different credits.  The Vogue UK website credits Alix Zeilinger for the cover, however it was also the illustration for the cover of Vogue US in May 1934 with the dress yellow and black striped.  It's a new thing for me to not use a design of my own as my other modules have all been designs I have created it.  Canvaswork is not a technique I am very used to though and all the ideas that I was coming up with did not seem to be the best for the module at hand.  I have made a couple changes in that I have added more garden at the bottom and have added a couple sprigs of Lily-of-the-Valley (I kind of felt it needed it!).


On Tuesday, I spent most of the day transferring my design and framing up.  I started on the sky towards the end of the afternoon.  I had terrible jet lag and so was not making lots of "fast" progress.  Yesterday, I started more of the stitching working on the greenery and starting the shirt.  Lots more photos to come as I make a bit more progress!
 

3 comments:

  1. This design looks very pretty Katherine and in same time looks huge !!!.
    I do my certificate with RSN but did not choose the canvas work and I am sorry now. I will stay with the hope of doing the Diploma some time in future. You open my eye about choosing a design as this one is a bit different than what I see to people at Hampton.
    Thanks for sharing
    Renata

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture. I look forward to seeing it progress.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Katherine. Nice cover, glad you got in the lily of the valley!

    ReplyDelete