Pages

Friday, June 7, 2013

Blanket for Zay is ALMOST done!!!!

So close!  I have run out of the red thread for the blanket stitch, so off to the store tomorrow to buy more to finish it up!  This is the blanket I made for my beautiful little boy, Zay.  

I wanted to do a fun blanket for his room that was my version of something for a child.  All the motifs are backyard motifs--dandelions, beetles, lizards, birds, clovers, owls, dogwood trees, etc.  I bought all my fabric from Alabama Chanin.  It is all organic jersey knit, and I stitch the blanket in an "Alabama Chanin" style.  

The front of the blanket is created with a double layer of the cotton jersey.   The motifs are created with using large backstitched outlines and reverse applique. The back of the blanket is a single layer of jersey with a layer of 1/4" cotton batting (wading) with the leaves quilted with a running stitch and Zay's name and birthday backstitched.  The back wraps to the front and is attached with a blanket stitch edging. 







2 comments:

  1. What a treasure! I've not seen this technique before - how interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pamela,

    Thank you so much! I have loved what Natalie Chanin does since she was doing Project Alabama. Through a scholarship I won in grad school, I was able to do a Weekend Workshop at her "Factory" in Alabama a few years ago. It was such an amazing experience! Natalie is so inspiring and so generous with her knowledge and experience. You may like her blog: http://alabamachanin.com/journal/ .

    When I was pregnant with Zay, I needed a project that I could work on that was fun and relaxing, so I started doing these squares and then decided to make them into a blanket.

    ReplyDelete