Pages

Sunday, July 30, 2017

A Single Cornflower

My newest weed (though technically an invasive wildflower) is my Cornflower. 
 
It is based off of some photos of cornflowers that I took last spring around Iredell County, NC.  The cornflowers in one of the fields along the road was just absolutely beautiful.  The tiny touches of the bluish purple popping through the greens I find very lovely.  It was also really interesting to see how they aged as they were the most saturated in color right after blooming and slowly turned almost white. 

This will be my newest kit that I submit to teach!  It is a beginner level contemporary goldwork kit.  I used cotton embroidery flosses from Weeks Dye Works and a silk embroidery floss from Valdani on a 40 count linen ground.


It is interesting that as I read about cornflowers, I found out that the state of North Carolina actually prohibits the planting of cornflowers (though since I can find the seeds I'm going to assume it's not terribly enforced).  This small tidbit has really captured my attention and I want to learn more about weeds v. invasive wildflowers. 

7 comments:

  1. What a sweet unencumbered design. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful piece! I love how you have worked the slight sparkle in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely piece; cornflowers are some of my favorites. I know them as bachelor buttons. I didn't know they are considered weeds in some places. Will you be selling this as a kit without the option of a class? I'd buy it for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a beautiful piece. I love the simplicity of the lines.

    ReplyDelete