Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2016

RSN Canvaswork: Drum roll, please!!!!!

Here it is, the very last thread tied back for my very last module of my RSN Certificate!  Can you tell I'm just a little bit excited about this!  Now just for awaiting the marks from assessment....
 Here is an image of my final piece.  It is from an illustration that was on the front of UK Vogue in May 1936 for Royal Ascot.  I have to admit I am really pleased with it.  It was a great challenge but I've really fallen in love with this technique.

For some technical information:
The threads are mainly DMC cotton stranded, however, I've mixed in Appleton wools for the greenery and silks and rayons for the butterfly, lips and flowers.  There is tent stitch and trammed tent in the flowers and lips.  Tied gobelin into some encroaching gobelin for the hat.  Parisian and diagonal parisian form the blouse.  All kinds of different cross stitches create the areas of greenery.  I constrained myself to just cross stitch patterns for the greenery as I thought it had a more "bushy" type appearance and I wanted to try lots of different stitch patterns.  The skin is in diagonal satin. The little blossoms are chain stitch within chain stitch.  Finally, the Lily-of-the-Valley are padded satin with a stem stitch stem.
 I had to sneak some Lily-of-the-Valley in somewhere!
Here's a detail of turning the corner of the blouse. 
 I have to admit, canvaswork was a module that I was not originally terribly excited about.  However, I have found that I absolutely LOVE it!  I love the color mixing aspect of it and the constraint of the counted stitch patterns.  I love the textures that the stitches create and the painterly quality of it.  I really cannot wait to start another piece of canvaswork and I already know what it's going to be :)! 

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful work! I admit I'm not a huge fan of canvas work either, but only because the material is so stiff to stitch on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dima! The material is super stiff but honestly I've kind of fallen in love with it.

      Delete
  2. Hi, I found your blog recently when i was hunting the Internet for design ideas for the RSN jacobean crewel work module that I'm starting in the autumn. I ended up going through your whole blog! I loved seeing your various projects develop, and came back just to see the finished product for the canvas work module. I'm sure the assessors will love it. Well done, and thank you for reminding me that I'm going to need to find plenty of time and patience ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie! Thank you so much! It does take a lot of time and patience but I think that's what I love about it. If it's slow and super tedious it's probably going to be something I love! I will cross my fingers until I get my assessments back. I wasn't as nervous about the other ones!

      Delete
  3. Lovely! Gives me a summer feeling!And beautifully made!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marjolein! I'm excited to get this piece framed later on for my daughter's room!

      Delete