Pages

Monday, April 6, 2015

Canvas Practice Continued . . .

So, I had a lot of fun with the 1.5" squares of the stitch samples.  They went really fairly "fast", so I decided to challenge myself with a little composition.  I figured it would be good to test these stitches out in non-square shapes.  It was good that I thought to practice this, and Chloe, thank you for your suggestions on what to practice too!  

I decided to use my design from my RSN Certificate Goldwork as I liked the design and it had some good solid areas to work with.  I have done all the leaves in cottons (mixes of solid DMC's and variegated Valdani embroidery floss).  On 3 of the leaves I used the same stitch for the whole leaf and just focused on shading with the stranded cottons.  For the other 2 leaves, I attempted to transition from one stitch to another.  

Further plans:  Blossoms will be white and maybe a wee bit of pink or gray for shading in cottons.  I was planning on doing the background in wool but not certain what color yet.  I thought the shine of the cotton on the lily of the valley would be nice contrast with the wool background.  



4 comments:

  1. It's looking good ! When you fill a space such as the leaves ( having done this on my practice piece) they want to area variation in stitches. Either increasing the stitch size as you work up or down it and if possible change of direction of stitch or change of stitch even in this small space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice. I love how the stitch & color combos pull some leaves to the front!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's looking great so far, I love the stitch you've used in the leaves

    ReplyDelete